- Handful of fruit (for flavor) frozen berries work best
- ½ frozen banana (if desired…good for blood type O's…not good for blood type A's)
- Approx ¼ to 1/3 cup coconut milk (good fat to slow digestion of fruit and help w/ blood sugar level and increase Essential Fatty Acids in the body) NOT the “lite” variety
- Approx ½ cup yogurt (for probiotics) preferably plain, whole, raw, should contain live cultures…the more the better
- Approx 2 heaping Tbsps protein powder (or equal to 15 grams protein) (for protein) I use rice protein powder/bran. Whey is OK also if dairy is tolerated. Soy is NOT recommended.
- Liquid (almond milk, cow milk, etc) to desired consistency
- Approx 1 tsp to 1Tbsp healthy oil (good fat to slow digestion of fruit and help w/ blood sugar level) Udo’s, primrose, etc. Optional if low Essential Fatty Acids are not an issue for you.
The amounts can be varied according to your preferences. I even tried a chocolate/banana shake once! Adding pineapple and the juice is also a fun variation if you are not on the 2 week Sugar Control Diet. Liquid multi-vitamins and other ‘goodies’ can also be added.
The key is that you are getting a good dose of protein, healthy fats, fiber, and probiotics (good gut bugs). It is important to start your day with a lot of protein.
About the cook:
Joanne Butler, NTP
Joanne Butler, BS, NTP, CNFC is a Nutritional Therapy Practitioner and Certified Nutrition Fitness Coach who specializes in individual nutritional assessment and the creation of individual nutrition programs. She received her Bachelor's degree in Health from Eastern Oregon University and went on to become certified by the Nutritional Therapy Association as a Nutritional Therapy Practitioner.
Joanne struggled with her own health for many years and learned first-hand how good nutritional support can help a person overcome chronic health issues. As a result, she is now passionate about assisting others move from just surviving to thriving. To schedule an appointment call 509.736.3609 or go to www.northwestpilatesandwellness.com.
ABCs of Wellness
7500 W Arrowhead Ave
PO Box 6528
Kennewick, WA 99336